View Single Post
Old 12th December 2014, 17:59   #6
farad

ROVER 75

Default Thanks

just to give some more info,

Starter's motor definitely working fine, and the noise it's not from the starter itself (although it might be from the connection that chains/connects starter to engine ( *sorry- I do Not know the technical terms of it in English)

there was something else might help you to help me to find out what is the issue;
AA, told me there is no compress pressure on engine and that's why it is cam-belt! Although I started for 2 second and he heard the noise with no any other diagnostic checks he suggested cam-belt and he seemed too confident!!
But i did not believe him as he had less than 2 seconds to suggest the cam-belt and it is very bad news!

And then he advised me to get rid of the car for free, because it would cost 2 or £3000 as I have to change the engine and cam-belt for this particular car is somehow very hard and costly to change and it costs more than the car itself.
Now, I asked a local garage ( it is 100 meter away from my house in friern Barnet ) to see my car, But it is now 10th day that he promises to come!, Today again he said he will come tomorrow but i dn't know if he can make it..!
And thanks for the suggestion/ I will try to recharge the battery to avoid more cost..

I would be grateful if you have any advice..
Thank you.
farad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hello Farad,

I'm sorry to hear of your breakdown. Let's see if we can help.

Does the starter motor run normally? In other words, is the engine being turned over or is it the starter making this noise?

The key to this is careful diagnosis. It's easy to guess at the worst possible scenario, but we have very little to go on at the moment. Particularly this:

The breakdown services usually offer an opinion, and they're often wrong. I saved a colleague's VW Golf which was condemned with head gasket failure. It was nothing of the kind, and the car lives to this day. So whilst you shouldn't rule out anything at this early stage, it would be unwise to assume the worst. Besides, the cambelt is at the opposite end of the engine to your reported source of the noise.

Buy or borrow a smart charger and connect your battery to it immediately and leave it there for at least 24 hours. If you delay, your battery may never recover and that will be another unwelcome expense.

Simon
farad is offline   Reply With Quote