Thread: Rear disc
View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2020, 19:22   #5
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Clean the front of the face that the disc fits onto. If the face of the hub is not cleaned of all dirt, it can cause the disc to run out.
Totally agree. I've just replaced the rear discs on my 190. Never done that kind of job before but was motivated to get my feet wet by a high quote from a local garage. Lots of good and much appreciated advice on this forum from other more experienced members. I was properly shocked when the new discs had worse run out than the old ones. It was a combination of two issues. Following forum advice, I seriously and thoroughly cleaned the hub with a wire cup brush on an angle grinder until all dust and rust was gone. Big improvement. Then I realised that if you're not very careful tightening the torx retaining bolt for the disc, it can pull the disc slightly off from square and still cause run out. You would definitely benefit from using a DTI gauge to know where you are. Another job that is superficially easy yet needs a little more care than certainly I first anticipated! After an hour or two of playing around I finally got a good result which was within spec from the workshop manual.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote