View Single Post
Old 19th September 2022, 12:13   #5
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil th Barrow View Post
Thats a real good fone you have there. With my DSLR i would have half cocked it (locked exsposure) on th boat, then re positioned to set th scene and then fully pressed to take th shot. Out come ..... No blue sky or clouds and th water like mud. Then a long and protracted visit to foto shop for some cloud/water "recovery" work.

"Boat out" sounds inexspensive. Im sure your "nail" in th motor is fine?? Or is your's motor a sealed unit cooled. No coolent from "Adrian".?? (not correct terms but i hope you get my drift)
If it were me taking the photo with the 'proper' camera I would attack it one of two ways.
If there were no wind/tide and the boat was still in the water. I would bracket three or more exposures 1 or 2 stops above and below the subject exposure then merge them in editing software. Pretty much what the iPhone does automatically.

You could try using a graduated ND filter to darken the sky but would be awkward as someone stuck a bleedin' big boat between the sky and the foreground

Boat lifting (Over 6.5 tonnes dry weight) is not the cheapest thing to do but it is required every few years to do maintenance to below the waterline stuff. Anodes, Antofoul, shaft stuffing glands, skin fittings etc.
Lady Emma is two years behind schedule because of the lockdowns we had.
It isn't cheap, not much is when it comes to boats

Slightly confused in your 'nail in the motor' analogy

She is cooled via a sealed water system much like a car. Rather than air blowing over a radiation though, she has a raw water system that sucks water in through weed strainers andimpellers which is then fed round the outside of the sealed water system then spat out through a wet exhaust system. It also doubles up as a heat exchanger via a calorfier which heats the water used for the Hot running water system.

Anyhows.........we have two motors to worry about on Lady Emma