Old 6th June 2020, 03:33   #57
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie25 View Post
To repeat:

By any standard, comparison or measure our death rate is appalling.
To make that comment make sense you would have to compare the total number of deaths from Feb-Jun 2020 (if that is where the 40k comes from) with the number of deaths between feb - jun 2019, to see how appalling it was.

The monthly average for England and Wales for 2018 as a quick example (am too tired to look hard) is around 45,000. With the current average monthly death (based upon w/c May 23rd figures) is roughly 53000. Now that is much higher obviously, 8000 more. However, the average figure has been increasing roughly by 1500-1700 per month on average annually until this year. (immigration and various birth rates could help explain this annual increase). So in real terms it has been an increase of perhaps 6500 monthly? Those figures though can only be based upon the first 6 months of this year, so overall that average will drop.

I would not call that appalling, it is disappointing. If you are to consider that appalling, it suggests a search for blame. So I will nudge towards your direction, and say I think those numbers are actually quite good, considering how stretched the NHS was before this outbreak. But the NHS has no bearing on this, even the powers that be have little blame. The individual must carry most blame. The data was there, the information, advice and guidance, yet there are those who choose to ignore and dismiss it all.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote