Old 15th June 2022, 07:49   #25
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
If when Scotland becomes independent, where in England will the MOD store it's weapons of mass destruction? Currently many of them are stored under the mountains near Loch Long?

Personally I think that one of the big things that will come into play is fresh water. As global warming continues, increasing population density in the Midlands and south of England, where will you get water from? We have lots and lots here. Short term maybe not a problem, but long term

As to the RAF patrolling our skys, last time I checked part of our tax goes towards funding the armed forces, the RAF is part of that.
The weapons storage really isn't an issue, they would simply be placed elsewhere, water? a couple of reservoirs more, one in the lake district, one in the peak district puts an end to that argument. As for taxation paying for the RAF, you'll be forming a new armed forces for yourselves, imagine how it's going to work out. The whole of Scotland will be funding itself from its own taxation, that's hospitals, schools, infrastructure etc and paying into the EU or maybe getting handouts from the EU, add it to the fact that Scotland will be expected to share its fishing waters with EU countries again and be restricted by their rules. I don't see how Scotland can fund all of that from its new currency or possibly the Euro. If breaking away is about joining the EU, it's a very weak argument to use, there's much more to lose than could be gained as an independent country.
I have to confess that I don't care either way what Scotland chooses to do, if they break away it'll save a lot of money for the rest of the UK.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote