View Single Post
Old 26th October 2018, 09:04   #1
TBennet
Regular poster

MG ZT-T 190

Default Great car, spoiled by the clutch action (ZT 190)

I've had my ZT for almost a year now. It's a great car in almost every way, but I'm seriously considering selling it on because I can't live with the incredible sensitivity of the clutch action.

3rd, 4th and 5th are fine, but when it comes to 1st and 2nd, I'm able to drive the car smoothly only by being very careful when releasing the clutch. Slightly too little throttle? The car bogs down and jerks forward. Slightly too many revs at the point you finally come off the clutch? The car kangaroos forward like a learner driver.

As I say, I can drive smoothly with care, but I'm getting sick of having to nurse the car every time I pull away through 1st and 2nd gear. I have frequent use of several other cars and this is the only one I have trouble with, and I've been driving for something like 12 years.

So is this common for ZT 190s, or is it just mine?

I'm willing to change some components if that's the issue, but what do I change? Is there something that will improve the feel of the clutch? It seems to me the clutch begins to bite fairly early on as you are releasing it, but it doesn't finally bite fully until your foot is almost off the pedal.

(As an additional thing, when starting the car from cold, I am beginning to experience some clutch judder for the first couple of minutes of driving when pulling away from a standstill. Again, I'm not sure if this is a fault or a "feature". I'm aware it's a common issue with BMWs of a certain era.)

I'd be very grateful for any advice.

Last edited by TBennet; 26th October 2018 at 09:11..
TBennet is offline   Reply With Quote