View Single Post
Old 17th September 2016, 15:49   #27
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Jeff, chatty passengers tend to pose less of a risk than someone on the end of a mobile phone. Passengers will usually moderate the conversation as to what is around them, passengers are aware of your surroundings as you are. Drivers do not need to use their visual memory when chatting to passengers, talking in person involves non verbal cues which ease the flow of conversation.

Having someone on the end of a mobile phone are completely oblivious to your surroundings, phone conversations are more taxing because they lack these cues, plus! conversations over the phone cause the driver to visually imagine what they’re talking about which uses other parts of the brain and reduces concentration anonymously.
I've yet to see screaming kids in the back of the car moderate their behaviour to their surroundings let alone a nagging wife

I'm afraid I'll disagree with you on that score, a distraction to your concentration is a distraction however or whatever form it takes.
I do however believe that idiots trying to control a car whilst texting, reading emails, playing games or trying to operate a mobile device are an accident waiting to happen .