View Single Post
Old 12th July 2017, 20:35   #6
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredowns View Post
Thanks. As you guess I really don't know what the pressures were like when it spun. It drove perfectly before that and they were correct a couple of days before. However, the idea that a rear tyre lost pressure causing the crash is another one to consider, although why and what one could do to avoid it only add to general concern.
For me there was no warning. As I was young, and the offending tyre was on the opposite side to me, I did not see it being soft. The car drove normally too beforehand. I have never experienced sudden suspension failure except the common front broken spring, and it along with any other sudden failure I imagine, would go with a bang. ie you would hear it. Possibly though, I imagine if the seals went on a shock, you would not hear much, maybe a clunk when it hit its limit. Likewise a clunk if a rubber bush completely failed and detached.

As far as how you could have prevented it, I imagine if it was a puncture you would not have been able to do anything.

Another potential failure (long shot really) is the friction material coming off a brake shoe and wedging itself into the drum. Likely prior to this you would have heard a constant grinding/scoring noise.

There are many possibilities, but if I was wanting to try to find out myself, I would be starting to look at the rear corner opposite to the direction of the bend you were about to turn. ie if you were about to turn right, check the left rear, and vice versa if turning left.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote