View Single Post
Old 12th July 2017, 19:21   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredowns View Post
My 52 plate (BG52UGM) diesel tourer was almost through a long sweeping corner 2 weeks back when it decide agriculture was better. It spun 90' and slid across the wide dry, and luckily empty, A road. Then rolled over and leapt into a field. ending up the right way up and on an electric fence. No one hurt.
I admit that for the last 2 weeks I had thought I must have done something wrong, but the more I talk to folk about it and read about other problems, the more I suspect it was a suspension failure. The tyres were intact but the washer bottle and lots of other "wing stuff" were scattered around. I admit I did not study the wreck being glad to have missed the big tree and be alive although bruised.
I'd had the coild replaced a few months earlier after one split a tyre reversing slowly. The tyres and tracking were new. I'd had all suspension checked several times after a few suspicious noises. I think it may have been a rubber bush on the lower strut (?) which held the brake caliper in place, but don't really know.
The point of the posting is to encourage anyone in my situation, with suspicious noises, not to trust that everything is solid because nothing moves when the car is on a ramp and to consider getting all bushes replaced.
Bye
I
Were the tyres still inflated after? (maybe you are not aware). When I was younger and less experienced, I had a soft rear tyre (around 15psi). Travelling in a housing estate at no more than 20 mph, there was a gentle left right kink in the road. After the left, I was turning gently on the gentle right, and the rear stepped out. Nothing serious or dangerous, but enough as a young driver to say 'wow that was cool' followed by an imaginary self pat on the back 'for holding it' lol.

Obviously there was something wrong, and checking the four corners, the left rear tyre was soft. So before going to the garage to get some air, I turned and had another go lol. I was younger remember! But it did the same thing. Put air in it, and came back, but the car was fine after that.

Point of the above really, is it possible that you lost a little or all air in the tyre as you were in the bend? I imagine in the above situation I was in, if I had been travelling even at 30 mph, the car would have spun out.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote