View Single Post
Old 6th December 2019, 08:04   #20
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
I am in the process of painting a rear exhaust in my shed at the moment first coat went on yesterday, second today once it warms up a bit, I use the metal paint you can buy from Aldi, ......
In the end I bought four cans of this.

£2.55 per can plus delivery = £10.20 + £3.80 = £15. So that works out at £3.75 per 400ml per can.

Paint goes on nice and smooth - this is after six coats. The can says allow 15-20 mins between coats but I played safe and allowed 30 mins.

2.57 cans (ish) did six coats on both the intermediate section and the back box. It only remains to be seen how good it is in action.

Btw, the colour really is what it says on the tin - Silver Matt. The colour of the plastic can lid is darker than the paint itself.

Below: I converted my trusty subframe dolly into an exhaust dolly, complete with built-in 'Exhaust Revolver Tool' to make painting easier (a lot easier). The dolly actually consists of two sub-dollies connected by a long plank of wood (multiple planks required for subframe duty!). The sub-dolly at the other end has two upright posts which are positioned just in front of the sharp turn in the pipe. The pipe straight is then plonked between the posts and the whole thing can be rotated with one hand while you spray with the other.

Once the paint has cured, the whole thing slides under the car with ease - then you just add blocks to lift the exhaust to the correct height, so that it lines up with the cut-off front section (which is still on the car). If I had three sub-dollies I could probably put an entire exhaust system on in one go, unassisted. The rubbers hangers will be the tricky bit.

Blink is offline   Reply With Quote