View Single Post
Old 23rd February 2018, 06:05   #78
dai1983

75 Saloon

I fitted the updated resistor and now the fan works as it should. Afterwards I drove 80 miles and the car refused to start. Luckily I was at home and able to get a lift back to work. A week later I fitted the FOC and new o ring to the fuel filter and it fired up fine again. I took the opportunity to clean the inside and unleashed the carpet cleaner on the dirty cream mats that scrubbed nicely. I have a grey spill mat on top of the drivers that obsorbs oil and water.

I notice that when the cars idling from cold in the workshop that it drips clear water out of the back and centre of the exhaust. It looks like condensation/rain but as I’m a paranoid type I was replacing the thermostat and IMG anyway. I did that last night and it took me about 5 hours plus I managed to snap one of the plastic breathers! I spent a fair amount of time flapping about because of a spare connector near the top of the gearbox.

The thermostat came out whole and looked like it’s been changed in the past with loads of black silicone on the joints. The bendy pipe showed signs of leaking around the join to the head and all the O rings were also past their best. The new stat went in with orange Loctite sealant that’s “highly resistant to coolant”. The inlet gaskets didn’t have any damage but showed the usual signs of water seeping into the ports.

Timing belts next week and looking forward to eliminating a noisy aux tensioner. There’s no history of a belt change but the crank bolt looks like it’s seen some previous attention.
dai1983 is offline   Reply With Quote