View Single Post
Old 21st January 2012, 10:22   #28
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknwhite View Post
It's just a bog standard stat Mike, nowt mysterious at all. It's not the bracket thats wrong it's the black plastic with shaft and the two metal disc that need to be swopped over.

The larger spring is compressed between the bracket and large metal disc and when the wax spring contracts, the large spring pushes the large disc which pulls the shaft and opens the stat. Simples.
I'm sure the order of the parts in the photo is correct - the large spring sits between the bracket and the rubber coated stat valve and keeps the valve closed against the radiator outlet pipe.

The smaller spring sits the other side of the bracket and bears against the disc. The 2 discs move as one until the smaller disc hits what it seats against and then the spring will take up any overtravel if the thermostat opens any more.

If you look at my first photo in Willy's link you can see the position of the main spring, but the smaller spring is hidden under the metal disc.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Noc; 21st January 2012 at 10:25..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote