View Single Post
Old 14th June 2019, 14:52   #101
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
'Just wondering. What source would you suggest for a completely unbiased reporting of news items?
Since the independence referendum I have perceived the BBC to be very biased against Scotland in their national news service so have discounted them as credible a number of years ago'

My references to the Spectator were in answer to an enquiry from someone seeking the truth and unbiased opinion from a selection of contributors.

This to enable a balanced view to be obtained which might lead to a happier and wider reliance on general learned opinion and to avoid the need for unnecessary attempts at unhelpful comments. To reduce it to mentioning two controversial editors is entirely to miss the point.

By its nature my offer was well meaning and genuinely offered. The uninvited reply resulted, however, in a possibly accidentally negative impression and may have cast doubt on the veracity of my commendation.

It seems to me reasonable to avoid giving biased views by presenting misleading statements. Anyone with any knowledge of the Spectator (est. 1828) would know about its often stated policy of taking contributions from the spectrum of socio/politico commentary, thereby offering views not necessarily in accordance with its own editorial content, whatever that might be. The link below is to their current contributors and establishes just who is relevant.

/www.spectator.co.uk/writers/
Thanks for your reply. Sorry for not responding sooner, even whilst on annual leave life seems hectic.

I've always been a little put off by the Spectator, albeit it's a long time since I read an issue.
I'm on holiday next week, Tenerife here I come, so will pick up am issue to read.

Thanks again
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote