View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2014, 07:57   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default PYC101320L plastic clips

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefrench View Post
... to hold the straight pipe in place and prevent it from sliding back and forth?
Hi Martin,

The purpose of those clips has always puzzled me. Anyone who has tried to move the straight pipe with the thermostat housing in place will know that it's impossible. Isn't there a flange in the water pump entrance which bears upon the end of the straight pipe, and a similar 'stop' in the thermostat housing?

If you cannot re-use your old ones Martin, I would be tempted to try it without them. Or, as you say, use a couple of Jubilee clips. I certainly wouldn't pay £20 for them!

Simon

Edit seven years later!
We all live and learn and since writing the above I have discovered and publicised widely the purpose of the serrated clips which are, as Dave Lincs has helpfully pointed out in post no. 5 below and much to my embarrassment, to prevent movement of the three part assembly.

There is a flange in the water pump housing which ensures that the straight pipe is located correctly for the clip to be effective. There is a stop in the thermostat housing which allows coarse movement which is necessary for assembly. Once fitted, the second clip is positioned against the thermostat housing body to stop movement in service.

These clips are vital to stop leakage in the 'V' so I would pay £20 for them. Do not substitute Jubilee clips! It's tricky but with four hands the jaws of the original serrated clips can be separated and re-used. They are tenacious in their grip when squeezed together firmly.

Last edited by SD1too; 29th November 2021 at 07:25.. Reason: Important correction
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote