View Single Post
Old 15th February 2019, 16:58   #28
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
I am disappointed with the reflector headlights.
Would I be correct in believing that the halogen projectors will be an improvement on the standard reflectors?
It depends on which half of the headlamp you want to improve. It may not be very clear reading the foregoing comments, that projector lamps, whether they're fitted with filament bulbs or with HIDs, are for the dipped beams only. The main bean lamps on both Mk1 and Mk2 models are reflector type and use standard filament bulbs. It's debatable whether the Mk2 is better than the Mk1 in this regard. Certainly converting a filament projector to a HID projector by installing a burner/ballast kit gains improved light output, but in the dipped lamp only.

The only way to gain HID light output for the main beam lamps is to effectively morph them from reflector type to projector type using a modular projector insert. This is a much more radical modification that involves opening up the lamp/lens casing. Doing this gives you HID power in both main beams and dipped beams. The inserts are typically dual function HIDs with a beam mask similar to the one in standard projectors. Here however, the mask blocks half the light (for dip beam) or none of the light (for full beam). This way, you get four dipped beams instead of the usual two. This doubles the dipped bean light output as well as the main beam output.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 15th February 2019 at 17:01..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote