Thread: Defeated!
View Single Post
Old 14th June 2014, 11:26   #1
SirRustalot
Gets stuck in

Box of ales and some cheap sunglasses

Default Defeated!

After lots of swearing, a few injuries and constant interruptions in the pursuit of removing my gearbox to do the slave cylinder, I have to admit defeat. It's like a sick joke that keeps on giving me a new punchline.

Thanks to a recalcitrant hub and a resulting front lower arm that had to be destroyed (was being replaced anyway) I've been forced down the path of removing the subframe. However, the bolts to the steering rack on the offside are just impossible for me to access. Thinking that things would be easier if I remove the remains of the lower arm, it's stuck fast on the subframe, the bush mounting bolts are too tight and with no access to them unless I remove the anti-roll bar, they'e going nowhere. The lower bolt which should just come out after a few sharp taps upwards is also stuck fast. I tried to remove the anti-roll bar, but the bolts, although they undid for a few threads, have now decided that they're staying put.

I gave everything a Titanic drenching in WD40 over a few days but to no avail. For the first time in my motoring mechanical history I have to say I'm beaten!!

I love, nay, delight in a challenge but, seriously, and I don't mean this in a flippant, banterish way, I'm a few reluctant bolts away from breaking the damn thing. It's really, really getting me down. In fact, I'm miserable. My wife is worried about me 'cos she thinks I'm going to weigh myself down with the spare engine block and throw myself off a bridge into some deep water.

Advice or help from a local member would be highly welcome. I'm, frankly, happy to pay someone to do this now since life in general is getting in the way and not having my car on the road is adding to that particular angst.

Save me!!

Last edited by SirRustalot; 14th June 2014 at 11:32..
SirRustalot is offline   Reply With Quote