View Single Post
Old 20th December 2018, 09:39   #28
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

I've posted elsewhere on this topic.

The whole driving thing needs a radical shake up.

The test is, IMHO far, far too easy to pass.

The test should be phased with each stage needing to be passed before moving on to the next. So there would be car control done off road. Perhaps then town driving, then rural driving then dual carriageways & motorways. Live a long way from a Motorway? Tuff. You want the opportunity to drive that's the hoop you have to jump through.

Get away from the fixation with speed and move it to distance. Speed does not kill. Otherwise there'd be no F1 drivers, no MOTO GP riders and no one alive who's been in an aircraft. What's more like to end in a collision? Someone at 130mph on a quiet motorway in good conditions (aka an Autobahn) or someone at 60mph less than a car length from the vehicle in front? To help the lane hoggers move over raise the speed limit to say 120mph so we don't have the "I'm doing the limit so you can't come past brigade."

Maybe part of the "hoggers" thought process is something like: If I move back into Lane 1, there's no space for me to move out again 'cus everyone is driving too close. So, I'll just stay where I am and to hell with those behind.

Use video footage to prosecute mobile phone use, middle lane hoggers, tailgating, not leaving enough DISTANCE etc. etc. Significantly dangerous driving means the vehicle you're driving is crushed. Your problem and you'll have to explain/compensate the "owner" if it's not your vehicle.

Any road traffic collision deemed to be your fault &/or any prosecution means a complete retest. That way if you have no accidents and obey the rules you simply carry on driving. If you have accidents or flout the rules then you have to pay to be retrained/retested.

Basically it's about an individual being responsible for their actions.

Oh, and gantry signs must be accurate and in real time. I don't want a lane closed for maintenance that might be happening in 2 hours time or to be told about a queue that isn't there but may well have been earlier on.

Big Rant.....

Andy.

PS I'm looking froward to driver less cars that'll do the whole thing for me. I'll read my book on the journey.

Last edited by AndyN01; 20th December 2018 at 09:41..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote