View Single Post
Old 7th March 2018, 13:56   #12
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarsailor View Post
I'd just like to comment on a few points already made before I give my own thoughts.

This is a common misconception. Any regulation is put into law by the UK government and not the EU, as Brussels has no authority to 'impose' regulations on us - or any other EU country for that matter.

That is quite simply untrue, as the UK is allowed to trade with any country it chooses. However we do have to comply with EU (as well as WTO) regulations which, to try and simplify a complex issue, means that we can't negotiate a deal with a non-EU country which is more advantageous to us than it is to the other EU member states.

I think the OP is referring to trade within the EU. Any manufacturer or producer of goods has to pay the relevant taxes to its own government (e.g. VAT and any others that apply to a business). After that the goods can be sent to all other EU countries without the need to pay any additional duties or taxation - that's the whole point of the single market.

My own thoughts on the subject:

My best understanding is that in order to retain the current trade deals we have with the other member states after the UK leaves the EU, we'd need to stay in the single market. To be part of the single market would also require remaining in the customs union and continuing to allow free movement of EU nationals, which I personally believe would be the sensible option for the UK's future prosperity.

If we don't stay in the single market once outside of the EU (44% of our export market) it's likely that tariffs under MFN (most favoured nation) rules set out by the WTO would apply, meaning our exporters would become less price competitive and lose business. Likewise, WTO tariffs would be applied to goods we import from the EU - currenty 53% of our total imports - making them more expensive. It's my belief that the combination of both would lead to soaring prices due to runaway inflation. Three of the main policies to control inflation are high interest rates, increased taxation and wage control. Anyone fancy that?

Of course there will be supporters of a 'hard' Brexit, particularly in government, who will argue that if we dump the single market we'll be free to trade with China, the USA and a host of other countries under WTO rules without having to also comply with EU legislation. What they'll fail to mention is that such deals take years to negotiate, by which time the UK economy could (and probably would) be well and truly shafted.

I'm not I favour of allow free movement of EU nationals for work.
please do not misinterpret this :-
we have enough British people unemployed and I am frustrated that people from a foreign country come here, speak a second language, English and get a job. That is not an anti foreigner comment!

Our unemployed (fit and able) should be pushed into work, they may not like the job but it's work and they are not then such a burden to government. Of course this is easy to say, putting it into practice is something else. Allow in the people with the skills we don't have but we don't need multi drop drivers, cleaners, waiters, shop staff, services engineers we have people here that can do this work.

Try to make sure we have employment in the right areas not just in the south. we don't need foreign call centres, lets have them UK based with UK staff.

Full marks must go to those from other countries that come here, speak a second language and get a job, shame our own cannot or will not do it.
Problem is also wages, some jobs are minimum wage, that is just not enough and how others do it is beyond me but prices are such that I feel 2 people on minimum wage will live hand to mouth, dole is better. We have to make it worth while working and if you top up minimum wage with state money then will jobs remain or increase at minimum wage?
We have those unable to work, this is not a swipe at them

macafee2