Thread: New key
View Single Post
Old 3rd March 2024, 23:35   #12
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

I would first explore if a local key cutter can cut this type of key for you, many can't as it requires a different type of machine to what they will mostly use. I could not find anyone local to me who could cut this type of key so I used one of the online services that can cut a key from a photograph of a working blade. This service is available on Ebay but I opted to use a Chinese trader on Aliexpress where I got a new key and fob supplied with the blade cut and ready to use. It took a few weeks to arrive and it worked fine, no internals supplied just an empty shell and the total cost was around £7 inclusive of shipping. That was a few years ago so it might be a little more now with inflation and VAT now being charged but I will be surprised if it is still not the most cost-effective option. That would give you a key that functions manually in the car's locks. Some online key sellers are offering new keys complete with internals, the PCB and the chip and maybe the option of just one or the other. I was wary of going down that route as I suspect that the chip will be a cheap aftermarket one which I've read more than a few poor reviews about pertaining to reliability and sometimes even not being writable to for varying suspected reasons.

The next step would be to get the internals sorted, I would cross that bridge when you get to it but someone on the site should be able to help you with it.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote