View Single Post
Old 27th October 2019, 08:27   #16
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Simon.
Thank you for taking the time to photo the differences in the original arms & the Indian one you purchased from DMGRS (Matt) you may have already read that (Matt & Scott) of DMGRS are waiting n a supply of new arms that are reported to be the same as the original one, or at least a copy of the Chinese arms which seemed to match our original arms, maybe they might exchanged them for you.

I know this could well be no good to you as you have refurbished the ones you have and would most likely not want to be waiting until 2020 when they are supposed to land here.
Hi Steve - I didn't know Mat & Scott were waiting for a supply of new arms that match the MGR originals. Have you got a link to a page where they say that?

An exchange would certainly pose a big dilemma for me because:

1. The car will have to stay up on blocks until sometime in 2020 with no subframe or anything else on the rear end.

2. A mountain of work has gone into my new Indian pair- blasting, priming inside and out, top coating inside and out, waxing inside, then several more coats of chassis black on the outside. All of this takes ages - especially the inside coats, where the only way to do it is tape up all of the leak points, then pour the paint (and later spray the wax) in though one central hole. It's extremely messy (an understatement) and you have to wait for each coat to go off before applying the next one. The final outside coats then need to harden for quite a long time before they'll be tough enough to take the battering caused by fitting the isolators & springs.

Having said all that I can't see how my isolators and springs are going to fit my Indian pair properly anyway. Either I put the isolator on the arm first, then try and get the spring into it while keeping it in the locked position. Or, I put the isolator on the spring first, then try and force them both into the arm whilst rotating into the locked isolator position. Both of these methods sound impossible to me.

NB. The isolators must be locked into the arms, otherwise there's a chance the complete spring & isolator unit could bounce out of the hole in the arm and land off centre, causing quite a lot of damage.

So I don't know what to do now . If I'd known about all this earlier I'd never have cut the old arm to get it off the old subframe.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote