View Single Post
Old 13th September 2015, 17:08   #13
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slav View Post

[B]The main question turns out to be: if a correct 190 tool plate is used, what is the position of the rear sprockets? Will they align? What if a wrong tool is
As said , there are 3 camshafts used in the v6 for the 2.0, the 2.5 and the 190 variant . Each is timed at a different angle relative to the crankshaft , but so long as the correct plate is used at the front then it will set the camshaft at the correct angle and the marks at the rear will line up . If the wrong plate is used , then I would not expect the marks at the rear to line up ( never tried it ! ). So long as the engine is timed correctly to start with , then so long as you do not loosen the sprocket hubs then it should be able to go back in the same position without using the setting tools If you are in doubt about the setting to start with you should still be able to trust the marks at the rear so long as no-one has fitted a different head , changed camshafts or otherwise tinkered with it !
As I understand it , the purpose of the floating hub in the sprockets is to allow the teeth to be aligned with the belt and permit some movement of the sprocket when the belt is tensioned , while the camshaft is all the time held correctly by the tool. As I said before , it is quite clever in use