View Single Post
Old 14th May 2017, 16:22   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Handbrake - nothing else. For clarification though - H264 is a video compression codec. mp4 is a file format for containing video. An mp4 file can contain audio, video, subtitles and images. The video and audio codecs used for the video and audio can vary. E.g. it's common for an mp4 file to hold H264 video and mp3 audio. Could equally use H265 or HEVC for video and AAC for audio. Decoding some video codecs often relies on the hardware itself having the capability and being licenced to do so: these licences are often paid for by the hardware manufacturer at build time. If VLC is having a problem playing videos encoded in H.264 then it's probably having to decode in software rather than hardware (or it's been setup that way) and the CPU isn't up to the job. There are various levels of H.264 compression as well (to further complicate the matter) - I suggest to download Handbrake and read the help files/Wiki and forums for further info.
a search on the web and vlc can be set up to play 264 files but I don't think without resetting it back to standard configuration it can play mp4 files.

the programme I found hs worked well bt very slow. I have managed to trim 30 minute 264 files down to a couple of minutes mp4 files.

Thank goodness for the internet but I feel the manufacturer of the system that has given me 264 files needs to include a decent converter. Not force me to turn to the internet for help

mavafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote