Thread: EU vote?
View Single Post
Old 13th June 2016, 20:59   #576
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
It wasn't a strawman tactic. Let's approcah this another way.

Perhaps you yourself should explain what distinction was being drawn between "big businesses" and "SMEs" with your statement

Also, do you accept that big business operate at the sharpest end of the game called competitive behaviour and risk taking (both the big business and their employees)?

It appears that certain individuals will offer BSB all day but cannot handle the simplest of challenges to their offerings from fellow members without becoming nasty and resorting to statements like "please raise your game".

I could follow another's example and say what a load of T.... But I don't think that would be polite or helpful.
If you think what I say is Twaddle then don't be shy!!! - say it as it is.

You are allowed - Twaddle is a brilliant word that refers to what is written or said and does not infer a personal criticism. So if you want to please do. I cannot possibly be offended as I know and appreciate the meaning of the word.

And to answer your question - No I do not think that big business operates at the sharpest end of the market. But I do appreciate what big business can do.

I went out on my own after an appraisal from a truly wonderful manager who described me in these terms.

"The Company is like an oil tanker. It has its direction that the Captain has determined and even if we wanted to change it, just slowing down will take ages and changing direction is not easy and takes miles of space. It is slow and ponderous but it gets there and it carries lots of baggage and lots of passengers. (Note - we had a good laugh at the irony of the term "passenger")

You, however are on your own speedboat racing on a tangental course and then radioing back that this great big oil tanker of a company should be over here."

And he was absolutely correct - I left and got more experience with other firms then set up my own. And my old company used us again for some projects so I had the absolute pleasure of working with my friend who had been my boss again.

I never looked back but by God it was hard and I am sure I went prematurely grey because of it.

I have enormous respect for people who have the guts and the spherical objects to start their own business. But my experience of doing so is that Government/EU does virtually nothing to help you at all - but as soon as you have a modicum of success then they are there, at your door with rules on how you must do this and that that sap your enthusiasm and frankly, make you lose the will to live.

I have personal experience of this and I hope you believe me when I say I am passionate in getting rid of EU driven Red Tape WILL be a huge benefit.

Whereas big business simply reaches a level of inertia that they can be "too big to fail" - the Banks were deemed thus

Last edited by Darcydog; 13th June 2016 at 21:43.. Reason: spelling