View Single Post
Old 3rd August 2009, 20:40   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default 3 speed cooling fan replacement brushes

I've just repaired my cooling fan motor for £10 using new parts. There's now no need to cannibalise second-hand motors, or modify a three-speed circuit to two, or fit aftermarket systems. All you need is the determination to remove the bumper/headlamp panel, a small cold chisel and club hammer, and a soldering iron. The reward is a saving of around £300, or considerably more if you'd thought of paying a garage to do it.

I am extremely grateful to Greeners who put me on to a company in Croydon, Surrey which manufactures electric motor brushes in small quantities to the client's specification. So, whether you have a lusty 1.8T or an economical diesel or a silky-smooth V6, you can restore your engine cooling fan motor to peak performance at minimal cost. Just remove one of the worn brushes and send it to this company, and within a couple of days you will receive replacements, identical in every way. Or, if you're an expert in electric motors, you can specify all the parameters on the order form available on their website.

The grade of material is "M17" (thanks Greeners) and if you have a 3 speed KV6 fan the brush dimensions are 4.60 x 9.65 x 23mm. The company's called Engineering Carbon Products and their telephone number is 020 8688 1900, and website:

www.engineeringcarbonproducts.com

Here's an example of their work:

Quality, eh? My three-speed motor had failed due to the earth brush wearing down to virtually nothing, so I only really needed one brush at £10, but as so much dismantling is necessary to get at the fan motor I replaced two other half-worn brushes as well. £30 is still a lot nicer than £250 - £300 for the unnecessary replacement of the whole motor assembly.

So come on you lot; save money and resources by repairing rather than replacing. You know it makes sense!

Simon.

P.S. In case you were wondering, the cold chisel and club hammer are required to release the steel tabs securing the motor end plate.

Last edited by GreyGhost; 4th August 2009 at 11:59..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote