View Single Post
Old 3rd March 2009, 21:18   #24
workaholic_ro
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yellow Peril View Post
Last week when I visited Austin Garages, Nick tested the vis motors on my 2.5 v6 using his T4. The test caused the motors to operate 4 times in quick succession. The front of the two motors operated 4 times with about 1 or 2 seconds interval between operations, however the rear motor took an age to operate, with about 8 to 10 seconds between operations. Nick didn't know why, he just thought it was strange and we didn't have time to investigate further.
Anyone got any ideas why this might be happening and what the consequences are?

Andrew
1. the balance valve is too tight in its holder in the closed position; check it by hand (with the actuator removed) and file the edges if this is the problem; easy to take it out, just pull (5%)
2. the small motor in the actuator is full of oil and cannot operate correctly; it was designed to work with air inside ; clean it with compressed air and check it before putting it back (95%)
Consequences: in both situations the motor will die soon if left so.
Cold joints of the end switches is another common fault, but I don't think it is the case here, if it happens the actuator is not slow but not working at all. Checking it is mandatory though.

Cheers,

Fidel

Last edited by workaholic_ro; 3rd March 2009 at 21:21..