Thread: Aircon regas ?
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2019, 19:38   #15
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
My R75 diesel, now 15 years old, has the original refrigerant and the system works perfectly.

PS. Also I never run it in the winter, as suggested elsewhere, to circulate the coolant. Many folk say this is why it fails but mine never has. Makes you wonder sometimes where his sort of info. comes from.--

It's a bit like----'They all do that Sir, it's a Rover'.-----( Yet another old wives tale. Lol. )
The seals are quite critical. Regular operation of the system (which is also a form of lubrication) prevents the seals from deterioration - usually hardening or cracking which eventually leads to leaks. If you are an A/C user then it's usually during May-September so that means the system being idle for 7 months - if you don't perform a monthy 'maintenance' switch-on for 10 minutes or so during this period expect problems
Our condensors live/work in a hostile environment, they are quite delicate and being made of aluminium oxidisation is inevitable, they simply wear out, become inefficient and often develop minute fractures that leak to atmosphere - mine is the original that has now done 160K over 14 years, it's almost threadbare of fins over 50-60% of it's surface and has been recharged twice since I've owned it so I guess Jules will be getting a call from me sometime soon (a call that I put off making last summer...)
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote