View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2019, 08:36   #13
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copilot View Post
Simon I'm confused. Can you help me understanding this:
What is the optimal running temperature of the KV6?
There isn't a single optimal running temperature for any car engine. It will vary depending upon engine load, road speed and ambient temperature. The lower limit is determined by the thermostat and the upper by the radiator fan. In the case of your KV6 the thermostat will begin to open somewhere between 86 and 90 degrees C. According to the data it will permit full flow at 96 degrees C. As you already know, your radiator fan triggers at 100 degrees C.

So, provided your engine is running between those two limits you should not be concerned. If you monitor the coolant temperature using the instrument pack diagnostics you will probably find that, when on the move, the temperature is in the low nineties. If the car is then brought to a standstill, the 'ram effect' of cooler ambient air is lost and so the coolant temperature actually rises. When it reaches 100 degrees, the fan triggers to lower it to 96 degrees.

I'd therefore conclude that MG Rover expects the KV6 to operate within a temperature range of about 90 to 96 degrees, but short term excursions to 100 degrees are permissible. It's important to remember that variation is normal and always has been. That's why motor manufacturers design the temperature gauge to show a stable reading so that owners won't worry unnecessarily.

Does that help?

Simon