View Single Post
Old 14th December 2012, 04:51   #18
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi David

The other thought we had was that if your lower wishbone bushes are split this may put extra stress on the lower engine mount when turning corners etc and this may have caused the wear but we do not have any proof of this but you need to check the lower wishbone bushes at the same time Figs 9/10

Arctic.

Very detailed assessment. I am surprised that there was enough space between the brackets for the bush to slide out that way, and also the centre steel shaft which gets bolted up slides inside the red bush so I'm surprised at how the lateral forces can be applied to the rubber quite so severely as in that case. So you could be right about the relationship with with wishbone bushes, because although I haven't had any trouble with my engine tie, only 3 months after fitting that, my OEM wishbone bush rubber ripped out of its bracket. I didn't connect the two events at the time as the wishbone had already been raised as an advisory at the MOT but as you say, a weakness in one area may get highlighted by the introduction of firmer bushes elsewhere. It will be very interesting to see Powerflex's response, and whether they make changes to just the red bush or if they make a change to the wishbones as well.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote