View Single Post
Old 26th November 2016, 13:56   #27
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
How do you achieve this Dallas? Are all three connected to the trickle charger at the same time,in parallel?

Simon
Hi Simon, Sorry, I may have not explained the situation fully. .
The spare batteries are not on any vehicle, they are kept in my little workshop. Each one gets charged separately using a regular 12V battery charger that is set to 'trickle' charge (not the fast-charge option), usually left on charge for 24 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Your idle state current consumption reading (current with the doors/bonnet shut and car locked) does't seem right. Are you sure it is not 0.47A, i.e. 470mA?

A current consupmtion of 0.47mA is not sufficient to power the car's circuitry in the idle state. A long-idle state current of 20 to 50mA would be more typical for a "modern car" depending on the power-down state of the electronics.

If it is 470mA, I would start off by checking the 5W light bulbs e.g. glove compartment light.

If you are unable to find something obvious, the best way forward is to check the drain whilst systematically removing fuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
MG Rover Technical Tip TT0036
Maximum expected battery current drain
Ignition off for up to 18 minutes: 1 to 2 amps
Ignition off after 18 minutes (sleep mode): 30 to 45 mA

TC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrose View Post
I think Wes's experience with the voltmeter might not be as good as some on here. I'll bet it's 47mA and all is well.
Or it could be .47 of one amp on a 0-10a scale. Almost half an amp which could be a small bulb as suggested.
The small cheap digital meters usually just have a 0-10a scale.

Blackrose
Thanks fellas, now you have me really confused.

Something does seem quite strange, or unless its my readings or settings, or my cheap meter.
I have just been and checked again, ignition off and car was not started, so vehicle should be in (sleep mode). The reading I got this time was 0.29ma, if I open the drivers door to trigger the interior lights, I get a 1.91ma reading, I'm not sure why I had a 0.47 reading last night.

The battery reading with noting attached reads 12.64v, and battery reading with engine running is 14.44v, this would indicate my alternator is charging the battery which is nice to know.

Does this all sound correct to you guys, or am I doing something wrong?

Cheers all.

Ignition off, doors closed, car was not started.

Reading with door open.

Battery reading with nothing connected: 12.64v.

Battery reading with engine running: 14.44v, would indicate the alternator is charging the battery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0.29ma 800x600.jpg (76.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 1.91 Door Open 800x600.jpg (71.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 12.64 Just Battery 800x600.jpg (74.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 14.44 Car Running 800x600.jpg (74.4 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by Dallas; 26th November 2016 at 14:33..
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote