View Single Post
Old 21st November 2019, 10:25   #64
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

I'd suggest the first clue to the connumdrum is in the Demist Test when this question was asked (post 41):
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Does it run continuously or cycle on and off every 10-15 seconds?
and Joe's answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenonix View Post
Runs continuously.
The very first time I switched on after fixing, it did stop and start every 15 seconds.
About 2 or 3 times. I turned it off and restarted, then it runs continuously but only when demist is pressed
Then (post 47):
Quote:
Still kicks in at 105, turns off at 101-102, drops to 97.
I know everyone says these fans are loud, but this one is Very loud, in a powerful way.
Any possibility high speed only is starting????
And post 60:
Quote:
Changed the resistor and relays.
Now it comes on at 99, then drops to 97....so all good so far.....
Normal speed, nice and quiet, no rattles or noises.
Wonder why the demist test worked though?
So what's going on? In essence, the silver resistor on the fan Joe fitted had indeed failed. The first Demist Test gave a 'fail', which apparently changed to a 'pass' after switching off and repeating the test.

What happened here is the trinary tripped on the emergency aircon over-pressure fan speed (speed 2) because the refrigerant had already gotten too hot from the earlier test. This overheating/over-pressure was probably exacerbated by the very high ambient temperatures currently plaguing Australia and a failing/failed condenser matrix. So I'd suggest Joe also checks the condition of the aircon condenser, which if poor will need replacing.

It would be informative if Joe would report on his aircon performance now that speed 1 operates correctly. From what's reported in the news, he'll certainly need it.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 21st November 2019 at 10:27..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote