View Single Post
Old 13th October 2019, 19:00   #19
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I was a passenger in the mini bus, for may safety and for that of the other passengers, himself and those in the BMW are you sure he did not have to? Wow, putting the lives of other people at risk because "he had right of way", magic. You think that the mini bus driver seemingly to have ignored
the BMW was driving for me, for the passengers, for the BMW?

I reiterate the post was about reading the situation and reacting before it becomes dangerous. I accept the BMW was not correct in doing a U turn when in the left lane and crossing the path of the mini bus causing it to take evasive action. I consider that the warning signs were there but not acted upon by the mini bus driver. If the BMW had stayed in their lane the mini bus would have passed no issue. If the mini bus driver had braked sooner the passengers would not have been thrown forward with such force and the situation would not have become so urgent.

irrespective of right of way, safety is paramount.

macafee

What is the point of having a right of way? Having an accepted right of way allows for a predictability on the roads. With the entitlement of 'I will drive where I want' eliminates that predictability and that is where accidents (because there will be a responsible party) occur. The highway code and law in fact does not allow for mind reading.

I didnt ignore anything. The car driver was driving for himself and no one else, either by a self belief of entitlement or a simple mistake has found themselves in the incorrect lane, they should have continued until it was safe for them to effect the turn. However, your narrative above has now added another fact (important too) 'If the BMW had stayed in their lane the mini bus would have passed no issue'. The minibus is travelling faster than the BMW or has the minbus driver accelerated to purposely block the BMW? Or the BMW started to slow down to fall behind, but changed their mind and at last minute accelerated to complete the U Turn? I know what you are saying, it is all if if if. But that line suggests the BMW was slowing, this then suggests the minibus driver could have been aware and was correct to continue?

It is this sense of entitlement on the roads now that I have a problem with, and I refuse to accept it! Drivers seem to ignore the rules of the road because of it, and if we allow it, it will lead to further accidents. If that means someone drives into me, so be it. BUT, I will make every effort to make sure me and my car is safe, however I will not endanger those behind me by slamming on my brakes (I slam on my brakes, the car behind, distracted by the entitled driver cutting me up, runs into the back of me, they then become at fault - driving too close - meanwhile the instigator of the accident has now safely left the scene, leaving others picking up the pieces)

I can honestly see where you are coming from, but you havent convinced me that the minibus driver has any fault, nor should the BMW driver have any expectation of the minibus letting him in. Of course yes, he could have contributed to avoiding the incident that did happen, and he DID react to avoid the car driver causing an accident . He also could have very reasonably have expected the car driver to give up on the move and continue to the next exit.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote