Thread: Ticking noise
View Single Post
Old 10th October 2019, 09:58   #35
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnail View Post
Regarding the rear camshaft belt, I'd like to replace it myself, is there any way to do it without any special tools?
Quote:
... I really hope that ... the aux belt or other parts on that side of the engine are worn as I'm going to replace the timing kit anyway ...
As you say here that you intend to renew all three belts (and, I hope, the tensioner and idler pulleys) you will definitely need the special service tools.
Quote:
Regarding the rear camshaft belt ... does it work by only marking the sprockets so you know how to refit them back the way they were or does one have to really lock the crankshaft?
Please see my earlier reply to you (post no. 26) regarding rear belt replacement. This explains that you need one of the special tools to lock the rear belt assembly whilst you release the sprocket bolts. People who have tried to avoid using the special tools have ended up snapping the camshaft.

Regarding your question, it's not the sprockets that would have to be marked, it's the exhaust camshaft because it will move when the rear belt assembly is withdrawn. If you haven't locked the inlet camshaft, that will also move giving you a bigger problem. The engine will then be completely mistimed.

Simon