View Single Post
Old 25th September 2019, 09:11   #40
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Well it you think running a 75/ZT is hard you should try a Rover 800! I've spent the last 4 weeks trying to source parts for mine and I'm still yet to find some of them, looks like I'm going to have to pay a local engineering firm to fabricate them........that won't be cheap!

I think we have to accept now that all Rovers / MG's are now old enough that they're no longer daily drivers and we need to start thinking of them as classics. I have run classic cars as daily drivers in the past, my 1975 MGB GT V8 did my daily commute for well over a year for instance, and whilst it's nice to have a car with character the increased time effort and cost you have to put into keeping it on the road eventually wear you down. I'm running new cars now and whilst they cost more in some ways I don't have to worry about repairs or parts which is nice and in addition I don't have to go through the ritual of checking levels etc before going on long journey. In fact in just over a year I've only lifted the bonnet on the Volvo once and that was to top up the washers! We actually replaced Mrs Guru's older car with a brand new lease car when I put the cost of all the repairs and maintenance over a year into a spreadsheet and realised that she could have a brand new car for less money!

Older cars have their place and I love them hence spending so much time and money on my Sterling however I think it's also important to set your expectations accordingly.