View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2019, 12:00   #396
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool Neighbour to the rescue....................................

............................................... seeing as the weather has turned nice I thought it might be an idea to get some gardening down. First job was to mow the lawn. Got the mower and strimmer out. Grass cut and trimmed. Lawn raked and the cuttings in the bag. Everything going along quite well.

Next challenge was the hedge that runs along the side of the rear garden. Runs from the edge of the garage block to my back gate, also runs along side the pyramid greenhouse. So with the hedge trimmer I got the New extension cable out. Plugged everything in and started by the garage block. But the trimmer stopped. Dead. checked the trip switch on the extension lead. All ok. Unplugged the trimmer and took it inside and plugged it into a mains socket, nothing.

OK so the fuse must have gone. Fuse's? Now where did put them? Had a search trying to remember where I had seen them last, Barkingside was the last time I saw the little box with them in. Then it dawned on me, and lo and behold I found them in my keepsakes box. Daft?
Anyway I put a new fuse in but nothing worked.

Just then my neighbour Gerry appeared, he asked if I would keep an eye on his place as of Thursday as him and the wife were going on holiday. No problem said I. Then Gerry asked what was the problem withe the trimmer and I told him what had happened. He pointed out that the extension cable was hot up to the job as it could only match up to 10 amps. So he went and got his hedge trimmer and extension lead for me to borrow. Saved me going to get some more fuses and a new extension lead.

Normally I would have asked to borrow a trimmer and lead from Allen, but what with Val being in hospital I did not want to bother him. (Val is having a new hip fitted).
But now I was away, remembering how to cut the hedge safely rather than my last try at the old house, where I had a go at electrocuting myself.
Cut a section at a time, swept up the cuttings and put them in the bin. Soon it was finished and everything swept up.

Cleaned the trimmer and along with the extension returned to Gerry. Thanked him for his help. Got the keys to the Bear, loaded her up with not only the garden rubbish but a few other bits waiting their turn for a trip to the tip. And that was soon done. Coffee time. Then get on with a few car related jobs that need doing.

No going Back.........................

233,320. New rear tyres on order for BBB.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote