View Single Post
Old 9th May 2020, 11:20   #12
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Just as a matter of interest and to follow earlier established and unquestioned comment I have owned and enjoyed, most of, 21 cars.

The first of my new cars not made in England was a Hillman Imp. We all know where that was made hopefully. I don't mean it was made in the hope of its quality or longevity, more that its origin has not been forgotten. That car was delightful. Phew.

Then the second unEnglish one was a new BMW 520i and then the third a new VW - both made in Germany. There followed a whole range of English cars, all having previous owners, ranging from an Austin van through R-R, Sunbeam Alpine and Jaguar and over the last 50 years a solid stream of P6's and 75's. All of these English cars were either daily drivers or second cars.

In my considered opinion the new cars I bought from Europe were efficient, but Jeez were they boring. Not always up to the perceived reputation either, and certainly not worth the expense of buying and servicing.

Oh, and when you take into account the blatant lying from some manufacturers about performance... Then consider the loss of industry and jobs by the transfer of customers to foreign manufacturers.... My lasting impression of new foreign cars is, well, all that glitters....

Progress is not always a straight line gain, sometimes it proves to be a circle which eventually leads to one's own fundament. I'd willingly have all those English cars again, but none of the others thank you.

Last edited by wraymond; 9th May 2020 at 15:07.. Reason: Innappropriate apostrophe.
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote