View Single Post
Old 19th April 2019, 08:56   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsega View Post
I just made a purchase of antifreeze TOTAL Glacelf Supra, red, G12 with OAT and 2 fellow Rover owners said I should have bought HEPU red G12.
They're technically equivalent. Whether it's specifically mentiond or not, they're both OAT (organic acid technology) type. These days, the vast proportion of new cars around the world come with OAT types as standard. It's specifically designed for aluminium engines and has evolved considerably since first introduced. However, issues with the early type, which concerned the deterioration of synthetic rubber components, tend to divide opinions about it's use. These concerns persist, even though the OAT formulations have changed and old problems eliminated. With no leaks, OAT coolant has a service life of 4-5 years

Antifreeze colour is used to indicate the chemical type (more or less). So, OATs are typically red/orange/pink. The older inorganic type may be blue, green or various other colours depending on the sort of ingredients used. These are classed as IAT (inorganic acid technology) and primarily designed for cast iron engines, so less effective at protecting aluminium alloys. They have shorter service life of about 2 years. In broad terms they'll all work as an antifreeze.

For yours, buy a similar amount of deionised water and pre-mix them in equal volume for maximum frost protection. Use a lower concentration if you want, but remember frost protection is only part of the function of an antifreeze. Anywhere between 2:1 and 1:1 (water to antifreeze by volume) is fine. The easiest way to do this is to use a clean 5 litre plastic bottle marked at 1/3 or 1/2 full according to your choice of concentration. Fill to the mark with antifreeze concentrate, then top up with DI water in portions. Give each portion a good shake until properly mixed and continue like this until the bottle is full. You don't need to measure or weigh anything, it's not necessary.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote