View Single Post
Old 14th May 2019, 17:54   #14
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

I still cannot put faith into this either, consider the numbers of food banks and the people availing of them. 20 years ago, I thought food banks were a thing of yesteryear.

I have no facts figures, nor even interest in finding out, however, a bit of good sense would make someone question how the country could be doing better than before. 25 years ago, the basic income tax allowance was £3.5k, now it is somewhere around £10.5k, with more coming. Great, more disposable income, and yes (but obviously not £7k due to inflation, cost of living and general greed etc), there is, as well as minimum wages etc. But there is also the extension to pension ages, the lack of NHS resources (I know that is NI related). The 'encouragement' to buy into private pensions (and now I believe it is compulsory), as well as the increase of private healthcare and relevant insurance, all point to a poorer society overall. Another example, infrastructure investment or lack of (which again was not designed for the use it gets now). The reason you have fewer bin men, and wait for 6 weeks for an MOT, is because of the cut backs because the govt. dont have the finances to pay for the staff etc.

At the end of the day, it is about how these figures are calculated, using whichever figures is relevant to spin a pretty picture to it.

I do fear this is all done to distract or soften the blow of what has happened with the loss of British industry, etc.

You are correct this is not about the B word, leaving or staying (although I think EU partially relevant, as it was partially responsible for the loss of our industries and increased costs - but that is too late now, the EU in my view could be a safety net of sorts to allow our population the opportunity of finding work as an example).

In saying all that, I sound like a conspiracy theorist, do not take it so. I am not. Just a realist, and one who believes the population voted, the majority won. As a democratic society, we should deal with our lot, and work our way through it. Change it, but dont waste time trying to find blame for it.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!