This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonwick View Post
I'm confused.
So's everyone else.

Quote:
What's the difference between PEM101021 (black) and PEM100990 (buff)? Both are described at 87C, medium spring rate. More importantly, are they actually 87C stats?
I think you missed this:
  • Cream (buff) is 87°C With Medium Spring: first being used on FreeLander & MGF/TF.
  • Black is 82°C With Hard Spring: Not suitable for Rover K engines.
The opening temperatures cited are nominal and not necessarily what temperature the engine will run at. Using either stat, my 1.8T runs several degrees above either of those figures. It's more efficient at 95-100C than at 70-80C, but the cooling system (hoses primarily) needs to be in good nick for the higher temperature operation. Anywhere near 100C operation scares people. A 1.8 stat running the engine as low as 70C is most likely faulty. The 1.8 is a very warm engine.

Quote:
Will be avoiding the suggested PEL500110 as that's listed as 82C so too cold based upon my experience so far...
I suspect Rimmer opted to go cooler to reduce the tendency of 1.8/1.8T engines to overheat and HGF. There's no other logical reason to change from what MGR originally specified. Basically, user experience and public forums like this steer the suppliers to minimise aggro.

I reckon you'll have to suck 'em and see regarding the optimal PRT. From my experience, the optimal for the turbo engine would be an 87-88C/soft relief spring type. Unfortunately, it never existed. There's also no point in asking any PRT supplier about relief spring tension. They won't know what you're talking about.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 3rd October 2019 at 07:34..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote