Old 16th June 2019, 19:50   #4
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfastinsmethwick View Post
We live in interesting/terrible times.

(Delete as appropriate).
Indeed we do - I don’t trust a lot that is presented to me these days. I don’t think we can trust what we used to have faith in, what we used to believe in.

I have been dealing with an individual who was wrongly accused by her employer of a breach of confidentiality - a nonsense allegation as was soon proved - but the owner of the firm threw a hissy fit when forced to back down and tried to force the resignation of the lady and for her to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

She refused as she didn’t need the job and had already secured another.

The point I am making is that when you have organisations and employers prepared to disparage and rewrite the “truth” to protect a lie, to fabricate a new truth, what hope has the average person?

The situation even in our academic institutions is hardly one that provides “moral guidance” - Dr Emma Chapman has won a significant case against UCL (University College London) where the University tried to gag her after she was sexually harassed by a Professor - who had a history - of such predatory behaviour and the University covered up his behaviour with pay offs and forced signings of non-disclosure agreements if the abused person wants a decent reference. Something of vital importance to the individual if they want to progress their career.

It seems to me that our faith in “truth” is already at an all time low.

The question has to be what comes next?
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote