Old 4th February 2020, 12:56   #29
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Martin,

I have reviewed the evidence you've provided which is relevant to a head gasket failure. Please read through your own words again:

It's not exactly overwhelming evidence of a head gasket failure is it. The KV6 gaskets are MLS not the elastomer type originally fitted to the 1.8 engine. To damage an MLS gasket on a KV6 would require, for example, severe and sustained overheating.

In respect of the "some mayonnaise" you've reported present in the left-hand bank which you put down to infrequent use, if I were in your shoes I would seek to test that theory. A dose of Comma 'Flush Out' flushing oil may remove the emulsified oil but I could not give you a guarantee. Why don't you take the car for a long journey (several hours) and check that the coolant is reaching normal operating temperature by using the built-in instrument pack diagnostics. You should see temperatures in the low to mid nineties, rising to 100 degrees when subsequently stationary in traffic.

Quote:
One thing which doesn't appear to have been mentioned is the coolant level in the expansion tank. Are you observing the tab labelled 'max' within the tank? If not, it will be overfilled and will eject the excess.
Martin, your plan to remove both cylinder heads in the open air is born of despair and not from the evidence available and reasoned analysis. It is an enormous job involving a timing belt change which should not be undertaken lightly and I just don't see the evidence to justify it.

Simon
Simon.
I have read through this thread today and half way through i was thinking maybe to much coolant is being put in, thus not giving any expansion so being ejected out the cap.

Please ignore if the coolant is as above in the photo's

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote