View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:30   #28
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad View Post
There is nothing for it other than to take the heads off and replace the head gaskets.
Martin,

I have reviewed the evidence you've provided which is relevant to a head gasket failure. Please read through your own words again:
Quote:
I tried a test suggested on here, i.e. take off expansion tank cap run the car cold for about 10 seconds at idle and then accelerate up to the red line, if coolant shoots out of expansion tank this confirms HGF. I did this but no coolant shot out of the expansion tank.
Quote:
There does not appear to be any coolant on the dipstick and the oil level seems okay in spite of the amount of coolant loss.
Quote:
I did a gas test which proved negative i.e. the liquid stayed blue ...
I note Trickey on here knows a member with the same situation but who had a respected garage change the head gaskets but the car continued to leak ...
There is some mayonnaise visible when you remove the oil cap but I put this down to the fact that the car is not being used very much.
It's not exactly overwhelming evidence of a head gasket failure is it. The KV6 gaskets are MLS not the elastomer type originally fitted to the 1.8 engine. To damage an MLS gasket on a KV6 would require, for example, severe and sustained overheating.

In respect of the "some mayonnaise" you've reported present in the left-hand bank which you put down to infrequent use, if I were in your shoes I would seek to test that theory. A dose of Comma 'Flush Out' flushing oil may remove the emulsified oil but I could not give you a guarantee. Why don't you take the car for a long journey (several hours) and check that the coolant is reaching normal operating temperature by using the built-in instrument pack diagnostics. You should see temperatures in the low to mid nineties, rising to 100 degrees when subsequently stationary in traffic.

One thing which doesn't appear to have been mentioned is the coolant level in the expansion tank. Are you observing the tab labelled 'max' within the tank? If not, it will be overfilled and will eject the excess.

Martin, your plan to remove both cylinder heads in the open air is born of despair and not from the evidence available and reasoned analysis. It is an enormous job involving a timing belt change which should not be undertaken lightly and I just don't see the evidence to justify it.

Simon