View Single Post
Old 11th August 2021, 08:20   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by podman View Post
My Rover 75 has developed a dragging sound which seems to be coming from the rear brakes. I stopped the car, got out and checked the rear brake discs, they were hot, and the pads were touching them, but not flat-on, but tilted slightly so that only the top edge of them was touching. Then I looked at the front discs for comparison and found that they too were hot and the pads touching in the same way. And, thankfully, when I'm driving and I apply the brakes they do work as normal.
What is going on here? Is it that the master cylinder isn't retracting properly? Or is it an ABS problem? Does anyone have any insight into this one please?
Thanks.
There is very little gap between pad and disc, in fact you may even get a slight rubbing between the two. Discs will get hot, very hot. I would say you are better to jack the car up, apply and release the brake pedal and check how well each wheel turns. Has the handbrake been adjusted recently?
Generally if disc pads are binding, I would say the piston is the caliper is the problem. Years of rain and salt leading to corrosion, easily and cheaply solved. Pistons can be cleaned but replacing them and the seals is not too difficult

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote