View Single Post
Old 10th August 2014, 19:50   #1
The Mighty Quinn
Posted a thing or two

2004 mk1 Rover 75 1.8T Club SE saloon (auto)

Thumbs down Spencer Ashley T-Piece SERIOUS QUALITY ISSUES

2 weekends ago, I decided to fit one of the Spencer Ashley alloy T-pieces to my 1.8T as a preventative measure - and I'm starting to regret that decision.

The bottom joint on the alloy T-piece was weeping after I had fitted, so off it came as I thought maybe a faulty or damaged rubber hose may have been the culprit - fitted new hose to PRT but problem persisted. So, off came the bottom hose again and having a close look at the beading on the alloy T-piece, I noticed that it was scored across it's full width and it looked to have been machined into in that it had a uniform look to it.

So I emailed and called Spencer Ashley requesting a replacement as I felt this was a manufacturing issue - Nothing arrived for a few days, so got back on via email and finally received new T-piece last Thursday - SEE PICTURES ATTACHED.

Anyway, the replacement T-Piece has an awful weld on the small pipe for the turbo, which has virtually closed its opening - surely this could have seriously damaged the turbo had I not spotted before fitting (see photo 2)?

So I try calling (no answer), left a message and an email requesting a quality inspected item urgently, but no effort to return my calls or emails, and no replacement T-piece..
I am left with the original poor quality alloy T-piece still weeping coolant which I have to top up on a daily basis - a terrible quality replacement sitting spare which could have destroyed the turbo if fitted (how this got past quality control is beyond me) - and a bitter customer care experience with no effort to return my calls or any of my emails.

If a satisfactory item is not received very shorty, I will have to refit the original plastic T piece. I understand that many have used the Spencer Ashley T piece without problems, but I feel its important to take a good look over the item before fitting, as I have received 2 very poor quality items, that if not correctly inspected could have caused serious engine damage.

I am not one for complaining for no reason, just a warning to others to inspect carefully before fitting.

Regards, Karl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T piece.jpg (131.6 KB, 340 views)
File Type: jpg T piece 2.jpg (118.7 KB, 293 views)

Last edited by The Mighty Quinn; 10th August 2014 at 19:58..
The Mighty Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote