Thread: EU vote?
View Single Post
Old 7th June 2016, 06:05   #309
bobthebuilder
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
But you are missing the point entirely. You can hold a referendum every week if you want, but if it is conducted fairly in the first place, then the result will be the same. However the Scottish referendum suffered the exact same problems this one suffers, namely, that if the government have a plan, and I would sincerely hope they do, they have not disclosed it to anyone. Now this is a deliberate ploy, because if the "opposition" dare to mention any possible policy direction, the government will immediately just move the goalposts a little, just by saying we wouldn't get those terms, or perhaps as they have done again here, promised changes if we vote to stay, although we have no idea what these changes might be.
It's a bit like voting in a darkened room, because you have no idea what you are voting for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Your first point is just too simplistic. Referenda are not held in politically and economically stable environments, circumstances change, so that the result will change. For example a UK Leave vote might have a substantial impact on a further Scottish referendum. And people are typically influenced in elections by last minute events.

I don't buy your implication that one or more of the referenda has been unfair. Please can you give an example?