View Single Post
Old 25th December 2019, 21:51   #18
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Oh dear, oh dear . . .

Purely in the interests of truth and accuracy . . . this moron (who paid your full asking price by the way) congratulated you on your rescue and preparation on what apparently was a shabby car . . . but on getting the car home and popping it into my local garage, found I had driven it 70 odd miles in a highly dangerous condition. It cost me £1000 to make safe, and despite several courteous requests to you to contact the Wickford MOT garage you did nothing nor have ever apologised. After repeated phone calls from me eventually the garage coughed up £250.

Anyone bored yet?

And finally re my quaint and probably irrational preference for the OEM instrument dials - but what do old morons know? - I can do no better than quote Richard Woolley, R75 Designer I believe:

"Although the official company line was that the dashboard design was ‘radical’, it was clear that upper management wanted to pursue a policy of ‘retro’. Many observers have claimed that this was due to BMW’s insistance that Rover should move in this direction, but accompanying Richard Woolley’s move in this direction for the exterior, was a real desire to do something similar with the instrumentation.
One Engineer, who worked on the project from its early days in Canley, said: ‘Clearly the cockpit/instruments styling package is a cause for debate. I can still hear Nick Stephenson, back in our Canley days, stating that a retro image (i.e., the 1960s) was something that we should aim for when formulating the R40.
‘This idea of retro was a key element in the strategy of appealing to the type of buyer who has made plenty of money, and would like to spend their money on a car with a ‘classic’ image. Although, the Designers, thought P6 when they formulated the R40’s instruments, I always felt their style/colours went back to the 1930s.’

In my view the R75 is a Design Classic - count the number of ovoids and curves carried through the entity - but each to their own. Happy Christmas to R75 owners, without exception, everywhere.