View Single Post
Old 31st December 2016, 23:51   #15
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeegol View Post
kodi is a streaming platform amd wookie is a build. There are hundreds of free streaming sites on the internet and free channels available. Not all are illegal to use.
If someone chooses to access PPV tv using the device , that is their decision. I do not suggest that you use The wookie build and kodi to access PPV tv illegally nor do wookie or KODI accept resposibility if anyone chooses to use there software to access PPV tv.
There are of course other builds available to use and they do not accept responsibility either

Kodi is extensible software and there are many unapproved addons and addon repositories, and until recently this wasn't a huge problem, as mostly addons added features etc to Kodi of a nature that was completely above board. Reasons for not being in the approved repositories are many and not solely confined to dubious legality.

Wookie is not a build of Kodi. What Wookie is, is a bundle of addons for Kodi, very few (if any) of which are Kodi approved by the Kodi dev community. Many of which e.g. Navi-X, Phoenix etc catalogue and search for content on sites that are hosted beyond the legal reach of the copyright holders of the material. The sites are mostly hosted in the former eastern bloc and countries without legal agreements with the countries in which the content in generated - i.e. content mostly produced by the USA. The sole purpose of Wookie and other similar so-called 'builds' is to purely to enable the viewing of content which would otherwise require some form of subscription or payment (PPV). The only reason for someone to install Wookie into Kodi would be to view PPV content without payment.

As far as repsonsibility goes. Kodi is HTPC software and in itself provides no access to PPTV for free. Wookie on the other hand leverages the power of Kodi as a presentation platform along with copyright infringing websites to make the viewing of PPTV for free easy for the end user. Of course those people putting Wookie together will not accept responsibility. Who will? The copyright holders can't pursue websites outside of jurisdictions to which they can reach. They can (and have) however pursue(d) individual users of those services when those users are within reachable jurisdictions. True they only go after an extremely small percentage of users but it's a risk for the end user all the same.

What I have trouble with is why someone would start pushing a 'how to' to this site completely unasked? Nobody said 'I've got problem how can I install Kodi, and then make it so I can watch shows from subscription TV channels for free?' and if they did would the site management be OK with that getting an answer?

Would it be ok if I posted information on how to (for instance) fool the fuel pump at the forecourt or how to bypass your electricity meter? Or how to break into and drive away an MG ZT or rover 75 without a key? No, I don't think it would. Even if those things are 'easily' findable for those willing to search for the information.

Quote:
I do not suggest that you use The wookie build and kodi to access PPV tv illegally
Well why would you suggest installing the 'wookie build' into Kodi then? that is all it is for! Sure there may be some perfectly above board content somewhere in there like popcorn-mix etc... (out of copyright movies) but that is hardly the reason for it's existence.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote