View Single Post
Old 26th September 2011, 15:22   #1
Rob Bell
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDTi +

Default CDTi not starting: Cam position Sensor?

Hi Guys,

I love my ZTT I really do - but sometimes it can be a real pain in the...

So yes, this is another "Diesel not starting thread" - of which there have been a few over the years.

The problem on my car is that it failed to start on Saturday, and because I don't routinely keep a can of easy-start in the car, we had to call the AA to get us going again (easy-start did the job).

Since having the injectors rebuilt last year (excessive leak back), the car's performance has been significantly improved, but start up has often required turning the engine over for longer than it ought to - and it may take a few seconds to get going. On Saturday, it decided not to start at all.

I've replaced both the in-tank and underbonnet fuel pumps over the last couple of years (2003 model). And as mentioned, the injectors have been rebuilt due to the unsurprising discovery of excessive leak back.

So the possibilities are:
1. are the injectors still leaking?
2. or is this a new manifestation of yet another common diesel problem, the cam position sensor?

Once running, the engine runs a treat (which wasn't the case before the injectors were sent away). But the key question is how can I tell at home whether this is a cam position sensor problem without handing over the best part of 150 quid to Rimmer Bros for a new one?

Thanks for your help chaps!
Rob Bell is offline   Reply With Quote