View Single Post
Old 29th December 2019, 08:23   #430
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool Christmas Day in my New Home................

.............................................. was going to be something very special. But there was a wee change of plan as I had been invited to have Xmas Day dinner with Allen, Val, Debbie and Barbara which I accepted.

On December the 21st we went to our friends 50th birthday dinner, Lisa Hancock, in Torbay. Allen, Val and I travelled up in Banana. The weather was atrocious and as per norm I missed the turn off. Seems to be a habit of mine just lately. Anyhow we got to the pub ok and in plenty of time. Sadly half of those invited failed to turn up through various reasons. But we still had a good time. When we left at about 10.30pm the weather had cleared up and the drive home was without mis-hap.

Come Sunday morning I had no voice, horrible sore throat but otherwise felt ok. Got on with jobs still to be done. A few bits still to be wrapped ready for the big day. I took Banana for a drive down to Trago Mills at Liskard as there was a few bits I needed, and the weather was nice. Returned home ok but was starting to feel unwell. So I took a Lemsip and some cough mixture and went to bed.
Woke up about 4 hours later feeling better, still had the sore throat but at least my voice was back. And the yucky feeling had gone. Too many late nights and too much falling down water was to blame.

Monday came around, and I was still waiting for the Club Shop Stock to arrive. Actros was keeping me informed about it’s progress from his home to mine but there had seemed to been a mix up. Oh! Well it will get to me when it does. The small selection of stock that I did have should tie me over the holiday. The calendars were going out at a steady rate.
Christmas Eve and lo and behold the Club Shop Stock arrived, 5 boxes of it. But I was not feeling too bright to do a stock check, so I just carted it all upstairs to the spare bedroom to be sorted out. Nearly killed me.

Allen popped round with a card and a present from Matt, and Allen told me off for carting the boxes upstairs. We had a chat and then he was gone. Arrangements were made for Christmas Day, Allen said for me not to drive as there maybe some falling down water to be consumed. I decided that after dinner I would take another Lemsip and have an early night. Starting to feel that a cold was on the horizon.
Got a phone call from my late god son’s wife to tell me that the funeral would be on the 9th January plus she spoke about a few other things. That news coupled with the 9th anniversary of Val’s passing had me in floods of tears.

Christmas morning and the sky was blue, not a cloud in the sky. Up fairly early and into the shower. Sunday best clothes to be worn today. I set off on foot to Allen n Val’s house. On a good day about a 10 minute walk. Lovely to be out in the sun. Sharp wind in the shadows but I was soon at the house where a welcomed mug of tea was waiting. I had presents to give plus flowers for Barbara.
Soon Allen and I were off down to the Union Inn, with Val driving us, for a couple of swift ones before lunch. Val was dropping us off then collecting Barbara before returning to the house to make sure dinner was still cooking ok. The pick up arrangement was for us to be waiting outside the pub at 13.30 sharp. Allen decided as I was wearing a watch that would be my responsibility to make sure we was on time.

The first pint is free, paid for by the landlord. After that it was cash only. Olde Worlde pub does no food other that crisps and nuts, allows no children into the pub at anytime, dogs are allowed in. They only take cash, so no cards or cheques. Most weekends they have live music and this is how they make there money. Really nice old pub right on the waterside. Spring tides and the pub gets flooded, no cellar as such but there is a well protected store room where the barrels are kept.
After a pints of Appleshed with Jamesons chasers 13.30 approached rather rapidly. But we was out before Val arrived. Think she was quite surprised.

Too be continued.........

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote