View Single Post
Old 11th September 2019, 11:44   #93
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Reading between the lines that's what I'm thinking, The powers that be want people out of private cars & onto public transport, that would be the biggest measure (next to electric cars) of achieving their goal.
The powers that be also want us to buy lots and lots of new cars every year to keep up the GDP and people in work, so they are going to have to reach a happy medium somehow.

Where I live pavement parking has become the norm and as I have posted earlier pedestrians are forced into the road and wheelchair users, well just cannot use the pavement at all. But if the neighbours across the road didn't park on the pavement I would have real difficulty getting on and off my driveway and traffic flow would be worse and lorries etc would not pass. But still I'm dead against pavement parking.

Its my opinion but I think that electric vehicles will have a reducing effect on car numbers. Where are the street parkers and flat dwellers going to recharge them? The infrastructure has to be created, but I cannot see enough on street chargers being installed to cater for the numbers of cars now parked. The future is that probably many will not own a car but order one up on an app when needed. As autonomous vehicles become common a car will arrive at your door take you to your destination then go off to pick up someone else. Tesla recently stated that the cars they are making now will be the last you can own. Leased ones when returned will be converted and all future new ones will be autonomous and "loaned" for the journey or fixed periods by a third party. This will all naturally reduce on street parking but we have a few years to wait.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote