View Single Post
Old 16th April 2019, 21:42   #27
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
It sounds like your daughter's house should be surrounded by a private car park for their exclusive use. Will they be paying for this luxury?

Perhaps the answer is to have local shared pay-as-you-use car parking spaces - hang on, they exist and are called public car parks.

We need to face up to reality - that there are two key problems facing us that need to be addressed.

1. People preferring to own/use cars instead of public transport irrespective of the impact on others.

2. Too many cars per household.

The only viable solution is to price out car ownership for people without private parking spaces through taxation as in countries such as Singapore.
It is always nice to read a well thought out constructive reply, it is a shame yours does not match that criteria.
How many cars are an acceptable number for a household?
Does it matter how many cars there are at a household as long as they can store them all on their own property as well as visitors cars?
Also you need to consider the practical reasons for using ones own car and not public transport.

I use to use public transport for getting to and from work. 20 minutes by car, an hour using public transport. I also had to fit in with the times of public transport which may not have been convenient.

Car ownership has increased but parking at new houses has decreased.
So many new builds have parking for only 2 cars at best and so when visitors come parking becomes an issue. Where my sister lives, she has parking for 1, where do her visitors park? Another new build estate with parking problems

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote